Friday, January 12, 2007

A Cardi for Baylee
  The second to last day in Liverpool I jokingly asked Karl if he thought I could get one more crochet project done before we left. He said he doubted it and I felt like a gauntlet had been thrown down. I didn't quite get it done but I felt like I'd rose to the challenge quite nicely. In fact when we left the UK the cardi really could have served it's purpose as is. I added the pockets and puffy buttons after we got home. Posted by Picasa  
It's an incredibly easy cardigan. I simply crocheted five rectangles using half double crochet, seamed them together and edged it with the contrasting yarn. Posted by Picasa


  Patch pockets and puffball buttons with button loops, super cute!

Rough directions:

2 skeins Yarn Bee Soft Delight in color of your choice (Extremes Blue)
1 skein Yarn Bee Luxurious in color of your choice (Snow)
Scrap yarn for making button loops
4 largish plastic buttons or make your own (poly fill required)
Size J crochet hook
Size F crochet hook




With the Soft Delights and a J hook, make a chain as wide as you want the back of the cardigan to be (35 chains for Baylee who wears a 2T) add two chains. Turn. *Half double crochet in second chain from hook and each chain across. Chain two, turn* Repeat from * until you have the piece the size you want it to be. Finish off.

I wanted the front to be slightly open because of how I planned to edge it so I took the size of the back chain divided it by two and subtracted a few and randomlyish decided on 16 as my start chain. So...

Chain (16 or your number) plus two. Half double crochet in second crochet from hook blah, blah until this piece is same length as back piece. Make two!

By folding the side panels in half I decided they were too narrow to work as sleeves but only just so I used 18 as my starting chain for the sleeves.

Chain (18 or your number) plus two...you know the drill. I made my longer than the body of the cardi so I could fold them back into cuffs, but you do what you like. Make two!

Now seam all the bits together in a manner that makes sense (Don't sew the sleeves to the neck hole.) I did leave the front panels open a little at the neck line by not single crocheting (or sewing if you're of that mind) through the last three HDC's on each panel.

Using two strands of Luxurious together, single crochet around the outer edge of the cardi for three rows. Weave in your loose ends and decide if you really want...

Pockets

Using half double crochet and Soft Delights make 2 small rectangles(mine are 7 stitches by 4 rows) edge with 3 rows of single crochet in the two strands of Luxurious and sew these onto the front of the cardi.

and

Buttons

Using one strand of Luxurious and the F hook Chain 2. Seven single crochet in second chain from hook. Two single crochet in first single crochet and each sc around. One sc in each sc. One sc in each 2 sc (reducing) continue reducing when button is almost closed, stuff a small amount of poly fill into it. Continue reducing until button is closed. Leave a long tail to sew on with. Make 4 or how ever many you want. Sew them onto each side of the cardi in pairs. Stitch a short length of crocheted chain made from non fuzzy yarn to form a loop under buttons on one side of the cardi. Use this as button loops to form a froglike closure. Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I love this sweater! I've got a bunch of that Yarn Bee yarn that I bought on sale at Hobby Lobby and have been making scarves out of it, but this is much better and just as easy to crochet! Thanks for sharing your patter, too. I think I'm gonna have to increase my stash next time this yarn goes on sale, cause I only bought single skeins of the colors I liked, not realizing how much yarn was in one skein. Plenty for a scarf and if two can make a tot's cardigan...wow!

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home