Thursday, December 07, 2006

The sock from hell...
Makes one Tabi Style sock and a heck of a lot of frustration

On Blue Knifty Knitter Loom

Materials:
One Skein Caron Simply Soft Embroidery Print
One Skein Caron Simply soft Black
Yarn Needle
Someone to help you keep track of rows or stitch markers

Knowledge:
Casting on
e wrap
Flat stitch
Purl stitch

Worked with two strands throughout.

I number the pegs on my loom using a Sharpie (a silver one in this case) It really helps keep track of my stitches.

Cuff
With Embroidery Print

Wrap the yarn 1 1/2 times around loom.



This will give you an extra long tail to start with...




Make your half hitch leaving the tail hanging down while you e wrap the first row.

Undo the half hitch and pick up your working yarn and the extra long tail. Working right to left knit over both.




This will leave you with extra yarn loops from the tail on the loom (4 instead of 2) pretend that it's only two..

Knit, Purl around loom for 24 rows

Knit 4 rows* Do not cut Embroidery Print Yarn

Begin Heel

Starting at Peg 1 cast on the Black and knit from
1 to 12, 12 to 1, 1 to 12 and 12 to 1
2 to 11, 11 to 2, 2 to 11 and 11 to 2
3 to 10, 10 to 3, 3 to 10 and 10 to 3
4 to 9, 9 to 4, 4 to 9 and 9 to 4
3 to 8, 8 to 3, 3 to 8 and 8 to 3**
4 to 9, 9 to 4, 4 to 9 and 9 to 4
3 to 10, 10 to 3, 3 to 10 and 10 to 3
2 to 11, 11 to 2, 2 to 11 and 11 to 2
1 to 12, 12 to 1, 1 to 12 and 12 to 1
Cut yarn

This made a slightly holey heel so I left an extra long tail of yarn to sew the holes closed later on. I do know there is a way to prevent this from happening and when I have a bit of spare time I'm gonna sit down and figure it out. Until then I'll just sew the holes closed.



>

Sock Body
Pick up Embroidery Print and knit around all 24 pegs for 30 rows.
(You may have smaller or larger feet make more or less rows as you see fit. I have size 10 feet, 30 was good for me.)
Cut Embroidery Print leaving a tail for weaving back in.

Begin Toes

Woo hoo excitement!!!
Starting at Peg 20 (this is where numbering really comes in handy) Cast on Black yarn

Knit around for two rows. (Rows end at Peg 21)***

Forming the Four Toe Part
Left Foot
Starting at Peg 21 knit from 21 to 5 (sixteen pegs)and back again for 12 rows in total.****
Cut Black leaving a tail long enough to sew toe closed.

Right Foot
Directions coming soon...



Forming the Big Toe Part
Left Foot
Cast on Black at Peg 4. Knit from 4 to 20 (eight pegs) for 12 rows. Cut black leaving a long enough tail to sew toe closed.

Right Foot
Directions coming soon...



Now that you have the Four Toe and Big Toe parts knitted...



Thread a yarn needle with the end yarn on the Four Toe part of sock. Sew up through all the yarn loops on the Four Toe part then lift loops off of loom.



Pull yarn to gather...

Repeat on Big Toe Part. Carefully turn sock inside out sew each toe seam closed. Knot two tail yarns together and weave in ends.

Sew up holes in heel (Unless of course you've figured out how to NOT make holes in the heels. In that case this step will be unnecessary)



Voila! one Tabi Sock suitable for wearing with your favorite flipflops!



Did I mention I have to make a mate now?




*This is the first change I would make Knitting 6 or 8 rows before I start the heel.
**This is the second place I would make changes. I thought the heel was a bit too backwards pointing so I think next time I'll stop at the 4 to 9 etc. rows
***Another minor change for my next set of socks Knit 4 rows here instead of 2.
****Last thing I'd change I'd only knit this side for 10 rows instead of 12 next time.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice sock would like the directions for the right foot when you get it done.

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home